Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Coughing

Poor Gabe has this terrible deep, congested cough that sounds like pure rumbling in his chest. It's awful, and I think it is getting worse. He tossed and turned all night and every time he would cough he would start crying. It's one of those coughs that if he could just cough up the phlegm like we can, he would be alright. I wish we could give him some medicine, but I know that is totally out of the question now. I will still probably give him some Tylenol tonight to help him sleep. He hasn't had a good night's sleep since Sunday. Also, maybe the humidifier with the Vicks vaposteam will help. I heard you can give honey, but I think that is more to suppress the cough than to help make it more productive. Does anyone have any other home remedy ideas to pass along?

Then I made the number one cardinal mistake of reading about this on the Internet. I was just looking for some tips, but after searching now I am worried it could turn into something more serious. I will wait it out until this weekend then see how he is doing. Luckily there is no fever-just a terrible cough.

On a separate note, he goes to the dermatologist tomorrow for a check up on his little patch on the back of his neck/head area. We know it will have to be surgically (gulp!) removed, but I guess we will find out when tomorrow. That is a day I am already dreading. I don't know how you do it, Analee!

1 comment:

  1. just a warm mist humidifier and keep giving him lots of fluids. keeping hydrated is the best remedy. think of when you're pregnant, what you can do for yourself! (which is nothing but staying hydrated!)

    he can use saline nose drops, and although you wonder what the nose has to do with the chest, it does connect, and you want to make sure it all stays moist!

    is he old enough yet for mucinex? why don't you just take him to the doctor? they may want to make sure his blood oxygen levels are ok. if he's really loosing sleep, then that is reason enough to get checked out. heck, its just $20. and i wouldn't wait until after friday cause then you have to pay the urgent care prices.

    AND... when kendal had that MRI last week, he had "conscience sedation" where he was asleep but it was drug induced, he could have woken up if provoked. he coughed and coughed through it all, kinda like he does at night, and never woke up. so, are you sure he's awake at night? kendal will cry sometimes briefly at night when he coughs, but i really dont think he wakes up. you could also just put a sippy cup of water in the bed with him, but i'd bet he doesn't wake up to drink any.

    let me know how he does.

    and yea, about the surgery thing. uugh. makes my heart ache for you. even if it isn't a big deal.

    ReplyDelete