Friday, January 16, 2009

Brrrrr....

I love the cold. I was raised mostly in the Northern states and had a great love and appreciation for those Northern winters. I complain all summer long (May-Oct. in Eastern NC), and get so excited when we finally reach freezing temps in the late fall. I love my sweaters, fleece, flannel sheets, hot coffee and tea, and all the comfort foods of winter. I actually get disappointed when spring arrives and that humid warmth of the spring/summertime is here to stay. I have short, fine hair that does not tolerate the humidity and very oily skin that shines all the time. Winter suits me just fine. I don't even complain about the small eczema patches that form on my arms, because I truly LOVE winter.

However, I went walking this afternoon and thought my mouth and nose had gone numb. I couldn't feel my thighs. My hands were freezing under gloves and under my coat. The air actually stung my eyes beneath my sun-glasses!! Now that is cold. It was a cool 23 degrees when I took this walk at 12 noon. I am interested to see how we will bear this "36 hours of straight sub-freezing temperatures". With our heat pumping all night long set at 70 (for Gabe's sake) and snuggled under flannel sheets and a quilt, I remember actually being cold last night. I guess the next few nights will be an adventure.

I still LOVE the cold, but when it is so cold that you can't even go outside, that is where I draw the line.

2 comments:

  1. I love the cold also, Emily! My grandma (who visited me this weekend) has bought me so many nice (warm) jackets over the course of my life that I so rarely get to wear living here in NC, that when it is cold, I'm happy as a lark...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, maybe it was a "cold" cold down there in washington (next to the water), but here, the humidity was SO low that it really didn't feel that cold.

    reminds me of when we were in the grand canyon and it was 40 degrees at night.. and i was still sleeping on top of the covers because i was not cold. but when we got home, 50 degrees seemed cold - because it was a humid cold!

    either way, i just want it to snow!

    p.s. our thermostat is set on 70 also... for holly's sake (well, kendal doesn't sleep under covers either). lord i do not look forward to this month's utility bill!

    ReplyDelete