Monday, May 4, 2009

No Smoking Please!

It's been a while since my last blog, but today I felt compelled to write this one. This is in reference to something that happened Sunday afternoon on our way to Goose Creek State Park. Having experienced this for the second time now, I really wanted to comment on it.

Everyone knows that you should not smoke at the gas station, especially while pumping gas, right???? There is a possibility for something dangerous to happen, and gas stations are aware of this possibility, hence all the warning signs that decorate the islands. So why is it that gas station employees feel the need to totally disregard their warning signs and light up a cigarette right near the pumps? The first time I witnessed this, an employee was lighting a cig and walking with her clipboard to the pumps to take the number readings. Never mind the fact that I just started pumping gas at the same time and had my 2 year old child in the car with me, windows wide open. I fussed at her about it and she looked at me like I was crazy. Uh...hello???? You are smoking this cigarette right below the very sign telling you no smoking allowed! Job well done.

The second time this happened was yesterday, and in this case the employee was walking outside, lighting up for her break as she walks up to Gary and Gabe to tell them to prepay for the gas. So Gary is pumping gas, Gabe is in the backseat again (windows open), and she is smoking right next to Gary and the pumping gas. Then she walks over to the next couple and does the same thing!!! Again, signs are clearly marked all over reading "No Smoking". Another job well done.

I think what makes me the most mad about this is I don't understand why I am the only one who sees something wrong with this picture! Gary is all like, "what's the big deal?" Uh...the safety of you and your child is what's the big deal. It might not be as dangerous as I think it is, but the possibility for something to ignite still exists, and if I can avoid that situation I will. Besides, the signs say "No Smoking." reason enough. It even bothers me when someone talks on their cell phone while pumping across from me. Be cautious people. Maybe it's just me, but my motto has always been "safety first!"

3 comments:

  1. i would never smoke at a pump, but i do leave my car running and i do use my phone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are crazy! Plain and simple

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Analee???????? You are crazy-leaving the car running?

    ReplyDelete